These 14 Vegetables Contain More Iron Than Meat
Most people think that an iron deficiency usually appears if you do not consume enough meat. However, this has nothing to do with diet. In fact, a lot of people need less iron than believed. In fact, men need 9 mg and women and teenagers 18 mg.
So, we have decided to present you some foods that contain iron inside. This means that you can also eat more veggies and not worry about iron. Let’s check it out.
Vegetables that Contain Iron
Spinach is full of iron and it has been connected with strong muscles and bones. Apart from the iron, it also has a lot of antioxidants and vitamin A. Also, if you cook the spinach, the iron content will increase.
Tofu is a perfect substitution for meat in your diet. One 126 g serving of it will give you 3.6 mg of iron or 19% of RDA.
100 g of pumpkin seeds will give you 3.3% of iron, plus, zinc, phosphorus, magnesium, and vitamin A, F, B and E content.
Nuts like almonds, hazelnuts, and pistachios are a perfect source of iron and other nutrients that milk also has.
30 g of dark chocolate gives 3.2 mg of iron, which is 18% of RDA. It is also very tasty and it is good if you have a sweet tooth.
Mung beans have a lot of iron. Every 1.8 mg out of 100 is iron.
Every portion of broccoli is made of iron. Moreover, one serving will give you 168% of the vitamin C RDA.
100 grams of kale will give you 1.5 mg of iron. Moreover, it contains vitamin C (200% of the RDA) and vitamin A (512% of RDA).
100 grams of lentils will give you 3.3 mg of iron and other nutrients and fiber.
- Grains: quinoa, fortified cereals, brown rice, oatmeal
- Vegetables: tomato sauce, swiss chard, collard greens
- Other: blackstrap molasses, prune juice
How Can Vegetarians and Vegans Absorb More Iron
- The less you eat, the better it is absorbed
- Cast-iron skillets increase iron absorption
- Avoid coffee and tea when eating high-iron meals
- Eat non-heme iron foods with vitamin C foods, and absorption can increase as much as five times (beans and rice with salsa, falafel with tomatoes and hummus with lemon juice, for instance)