8 Causes of Bloated Stomach and Natural Remedies
It can be really unpleasant to have problems with stomach bloating. This can lead to discomfort, so, we need to find out the reason behind it and try to treat the bloated stomach.
In fact, bloating happens due to excess gas in the digestive tract and it can lead to swelling, flatulence and burping, abdominal noises, and hard stomach.
Most of the time, the bloating will resolve itself after a couple of hours. However, if this happens to you more often, you need to solve it in a natural way and you will need to change some habits in your life.
Most Common Reasons for a Bloated Stomach
1. Gassy Foods
There are some foods that cause excess gas and bloating due to the fact that they are really difficult to digest. Some of those are beans, cruciferous vegetables (broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage) and certain fruits and vegetables. Thus, you should consume them moderately if you suffer from this problem.
2. Insufficient Water Intake
If your body is dehydrated, then this will lead to poor function of the systems of the body and eventually to bloating. Also, try to consume a lot of water when you consume foods rich in fiber.
3. Dairy Products
There are a lot of people that are intolerant to lactose and they do not even know it. So, the consumption of dairy product might be the reason for your bloated stomach.
4. You Eat Too Much or Too Fast
If you eat too much, then your stomach will begin to stretch and grow. In turn, this will lead to accumulation of gasses because the foods need their time to be processed. This way, you will not feel full and you will have an unpleasant feeling in the stomach all the time.
5. You Swallow Air
If you consume sodas and fizzy drinks, or use straws and chew gums or suck hard candies, then, this can lead to excess air in the abdomen.
6. Use of Artificial Sweeteners
A lot of people like artificial sweeteners so that they can reduce the sugar intake. However, a lot of them are not easily absorbed by the body and if you use them, this might lead to flatulence, bloating, diarrhea, and pain.
7. The Use of Certain Medications
There are a lot of prescription and nonprescription medicines that can cause side-effects and one of those is bloating. Some of those are antacids, aspirin, painkillers, diarrhea drugs, iron pills, fiber supplements, and multivitamins.
Stress or anxiety can lead to different physiological changes in the body. Actually, if you react to stress, then it will divert the blood from the digestive system and into other parts of the body, so, the digestive system will stop reduce its function.
How to Naturally Relieve Stomach Bloating
Try consuming the following foods more often:
- Bananas– they are rich in potassium that will help with the bloating.
- Yogurt– is rich in probiotic and it can regulate the body’s digestive system.
- Lemon water– can fight water retention and aid with digestion.
- Oats– they are rich in fiber and they can bulk up the stool and relieve constipation and bloating.
- Water– fights water retention and helps digestion.
- Apple Cider Vinegar– if you dilute it with water (1 tablespoon with a glass of water) and have it before a meal, it can reduce and prevent bloating.
- Ginger– It is a powerful carminative which will thin the blood and improve circulation.
- Papaya– it has a lot of active compounds that fight belly bloating. One of them is the papain, which is a protein-digesting enzyme.
- Avocado– contains the enzyme lipase, which is able to break down fat and prevent gas and bloating.
- Watermelon– this one is a natural diuretic and it is also rich in potassium.
- Asparagus– it is rich in probiotics, it can relieve stomach bloating and it will eliminate the excess water from the body.
- Pineapple– it has an enzyme called bromelain, which will aid in the digestion by breaking down the proteins in the stomach.
- Herbal Teas– they prevent digestive issues and help digestion.
Herbs to Help You Fight Stomach Bloating
- Dandelion Root and Leaf– they can help with digestion due to the fact that they possess laxative properties.
- Burdock Root– it will stimulate digestion and treat different digestive problems.
- Chamomile– treats stomach cramps, heartburn, headaches, nausea, gas, and bloating.
- Lemon Verbena (Louisa)– aids in digestion, and it relieves stomach and intestine cramps.
- Yellow Dock– this one can stimulate bile production and act as a mild laxative. It can improve the digestion and the liver function.
- Peppermint– can calm digestive spasms, relieves gas, treats discomfort, and relieves irritable bowel syndrome.
- Lemon Balm (Melissa)– calms the digestive system, treats abdominal pain, gas and bloating.
- Fennel Seeds– prevent flatulence, soothe stomach cramps, and help with indigestion and bloating.
Last, but not least, what can also help you a lot are abdominal massages. They can reduce stress, soothe pain, and improve the function of the digestive tract and improve the health in general. You are welcome!